Thursday, November 01, 2018

Early One Thursday Morn


 
I posted the following early this morning before the sun came up on the Goshen, NY Facebook page:

*********
 
Someone attempted to murder me last night. And how was your evening???
 
At about a quarter to one I decided to drive up Route 17M to the Middletown Quick Check to get some take out. On my way back, I noticed that my vehicle was vibrating. Within seconds, almost opposite the Mid Hudson Psychiatric Center, it lurched violently downward. To my left I could see the driver’s rear wheel rolling rapidly into the darkness. As my cell phone was charging at the time, I did not have it with me to call for assistance. In recent years walking has become very difficult for me and I need to use a cane. I had neglected to take it with me and was forced to stumble home a mile and a half in the dark, falling down once.
 
I tend to drive very slow late at night. I was doing about thirty MPH. Had I been doing the suggested limit - or had another vehicle been approaching in the opposite lane when the wheel rolled toward it - there could have been one-or-more fatalities.
 
The jeep is still parked there while I wait for a towing company to open for business.
 
I live in an isolated area of the town of Goshen. I don’t reside in a residential district and have no neighbors to speak of. This was not an isolated prank. I am the author of a decidedly left-of-center political and current events blog that has gotten a little bit of national attention in the last two years. I have no other choice than to believe that this potentially lethal “prank” was in reaction to my political beliefs, which are - I’ll be the first to admit - controversial. I've been vandalized before, but not in a number of years. I've even received death threats but, again, not in at least eight years. That this could happen anywhere in America, given the times we live in, is to be expected I suppose. The fact that it could happen here in "Slow motion Goshen" is too sad for contemplation.

*********
 
For whatever silly reason, the administrator of the Goshen FB page deleted the post within less than an hour. Although most of the responses were sympathetic, a few of them were unbelievably hostile. One claimed that I made the whole thing up to get publicity for this blog. Another implied that I was mentally imbalanced and was blaming Donald Trump. I'm almost certain that six lug nuts do not simultaneously remove themselves from a tire.
 
We sure do live in interesting times.
 
Tom Degan
Goshen, NY

AFTERTHOUGHT, 12:03 PM:

Are you ready for the punch line?

A half hour ago I took a cab to the site of the incident in order to leave the keys on the front seat for the towing company. When I looked inside, I noticed that my second cane was leaning against the passenger seat. It had been so dark that I hadn't noticed it. That really would have come in handy during the long walk back to my house. Do I feel silly!
 

11 Comments:

At 3:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

From T. Paine.

Damn Tom! I am so glad that you are okay. That must have been incredibly frightful and unnerving.

I hope you have filed a police report and that whomever did such a thing is quickly apprehended and that you definitely pursue charges against him.

Thank God you are okay.

 
At 7:08 PM, Blogger Frances Ruth Harris said...

It's good you are well. I am sorry this happened. Please make a police report, and please put an extra cane in your car for emergency use. You can also get a low cost emergency phone and leave it in your car just for car use. Please rest tonight. You are doing a great job with this blog. Keep up the good work. We need your reflections and insights. They enhance our own ideas and creativity.

 
At 7:14 PM, Blogger Dave Dubya said...

I'm glad you are OK and nobody else was injured or killed.

I would say this crime, or minor act of terrorism, fits the MAGAt mentality.

A culture of evil has covered the land. It is everywhere.

More Trumpist hate crimes and terrorism will undoubtedly be in store for us in these last days of our dying republic.

 
At 8:00 PM, Blogger Jefferson's Guardian said...

Trick or treat, eh Tom? A potentially deadly "trick", for sure.

I'm glad you're safe and hope any damage was minimal.

It was probably Unknown who did it. ;-)

 
At 8:37 PM, Blogger Pappyz said...

Sorry to hear that someone would pull such insane shit on you. This is not a prank, it is a felony in most states to endanger a driver in this fashion.
I'd report it to the police.

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger lks said...

I am so glad that you are OK now, Tom. Please be careful. If someone is out to do you harm (and it appears that is the case), they may not stop at one attempt.
Linda Schmanke

 
At 10:42 PM, Blogger woodenman said...

Tom, I think you are exaggerating a bit, I am pretty sure those Conservative terrorist only loosened five lug nuts.

All kidding aside that was a lousy thing to experience, especially at night.

My first thought was that you had an inept person working on your tires, that would be better than sabotage.

I hope it did not cost you too much to repair.

 
At 7:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Tom, Thank God you were not injured. What a cowardly thing to do. I hope this sob is caught and someone puts manner on him. Keep up the good work, and don't despair.
Jim Lynch.

 
At 9:25 PM, Blogger Les Holmes said...

I am very sorry to hear this news. What cowards! I hope you filed a police report. To think something like this can happen is horrendous. America seems to be lurching towards violent political extremism, with no discourse or compromise from the haters. I don't think your view are controversial at all: slightly left of centre is by far the most common politics in Europe. The fact that you even think they are controversial speaks volumes about current US politics.

Than you for writing you blog. I understand if you decide to take a break, or stop posting altogether. I somehow doubt you will though. I read all your blogs, and even though some of the things you write about don't immediately affect me (I live in the UK), they will eventually, and are very worrisome. But your humour and thoughtfulness help lift what would be a thoroughly depressing state of affairs.

Keep fighting the good fight.

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger Just the Facts! said...

Have police collect finger prints and run through their data base.
Glad you are safe.

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger Just the Facts! said...

Honestly Tom, it would have been much more catastrophic if the wheel had been on the steering axle. Thankfully that was not you case.
I've seen wheels leave a truck/car 3 different times, in all 3 examples none were done on purpose. So while it might have been done on purpose, I have my doubts.

Either way I am again thankful you are safe, no one was hurt, and no one stole your wheel over night.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home