Tuesday, May 21, 2019

A Pox Upon Your Fox


"They're putting more Democrats on then you have Republicans. Something strange going on at Fox, folks. Something very strange is going on. Something very strange!"
 
Recent Tweet from the First Twit

Elizabeth Warren says she plans on boycotting Fox Noise. She has told us that she has no intention of giving that network a shred of respectability by appearing on it. She also said that a propaganda organization that makes its name by spreading fear and division among the voters has no right whatsoever to be taken seriously by anybody. Her intentions are honest - admirable even - and I totally respect her reasoning behind them. But she's mistaken. It's hard for me to find a grain of fault with a woman who is such a non-apologetic, decidedly left-of-center progressive. Warren is a breath of fresh air in a party that is bogged down by such a pathetic cabal of cowardly moderates. Should she win the nomination next year, voting for her on Election Day 2020 will be the easiest thing I ever did. A vote for Liz Warren next year would be the ultimate no-brainer as far as I'm concerned.
 
But the good senator from Massachusetts is as wrong on that point as she's ever been in her entire career in public service. If the nomination is indeed hers next summer, reaching out to the Fox crowd is essential for winning the election in the autumn. Beating Donald Trump will not be an easy thing - and anyone who believes otherwise - as Hillary Clinton believed three years ago - is mistaken. I hope she rethinks the Fox boycott. Knowing her, I believe that she will. I hope that she will.
 
Chris Wallace
First things first: Although I'm loathe to admit it, not everyone who watches Fox is a Nazi and a fascist. I know this from personal experience. In fact (hold onto your hats!) some very intelligent people of my acquaintance are regular viewers of the Fox News Channel. I'd even be willing to go out on a limb here and go on the record for all time and eternity by saying that it is my sincere belief that most of the people who watch that awful network are not idiots - although a significant minority of them are (and that cannot be denied). It is my sincere belief that the people who waste their precious time watching Fox (the smart ones anyway) do so for no other reason than mere force of habit. Those are the very people that liberals like Elizabeth Warren desperately need to reach out to. This only makes sense.

Another thing that progressives need not forget is the fact that not everyone over at Fox is Laura Ingraham - or Sean Hannity - or Tucker Carlson - or the halfwits over at Fox and Friends. You might find this hard to believe (and I always have to remind myself of this) but there are a few serious and sensible journalists there. Chris Wallace is worth mentioning. He has gone on the air recently to inform the viewers of his Sunday program that some of the "commentators" who spew their nonsense daily on the Fox Scream Machine should not be believed. Although he's no Edward R. Murrow (who is?) it took integrity for him to say that on the air.

Only last week, Wallace hosted a town hall with South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg in front of what we must assume was an audience packed with hundreds of Fox fans. Mister Pete pulled no punches and did not attempt to run away from his progressive beliefs - as so many Democrats are prone to do. When it was over the people in that hall gave him a heartfelt standing ovation!

Note to the Dems: You ignore the Fox audience to your own detriment. I'm just sayin'.

Tom Degan
Goshen, NY

SUGGESTED READING:

Get Happy: The Life of Judy Garland
by Gerald Clarke

I always knew that Judy had a hard life, but I never knew the extent of her tragedy. Although I normally avoid Sow-biz bios, this one was so well-reviewed that I couldn't resist. It reads like great literature. The day after I finished reading it I happened upon his biography of Truman Capote. Again, I was unable to put it down. Gerald Clarke is one of the two best writers of non-fiction I've ever encountered. The other is Scott Berg (Charles Lindberg, Samuel Goldwyn and Katherine Hepburn).

2 Comments:

At 10:27 PM, Blogger Mozart1220 said...

I love Liz, and she certainly has my vote should she get the nomination. I was hoping for Al Franken myself, but Oh well. I worry that too many candidates are too old. The job ages people faster than normal.



But I do think it's funny that for ages people have been whining about not having any choices,. and now everyone is whining that there are too many in the race.

 
At 10:31 PM, Blogger Just the Facts! said...

AL FRANKIN???

Have you lost what little mind you had?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home