Monday, December 25, 2017

Twelfth Christmas Message

\
Christmas in My Hometown
 
 
I realize that this is not particularly the time and place to admit this, but I have come to completely despise the Christmas holidays. 'Tis the season to be jolly? Nonsense. It's not merely the cheap and cynical exploitation of the day that sends me into an utter funk every late December, it's the reminder of lost lives, shattered friendships and fractured families. Nostalgia is not always a pleasant thing; in fact it can be a bit of a bummer, you know? And although nothing will ever be able to top the 2013 Christmas season for sheer heartache and misery, the day is still a major drag for me. Pondering the fact that the president of the United States of America is certifiably insane also does not make for a particularly holly jolly Christmas. And given the deplorable state of my health, there isn't any reason to doubt that this won't be my last Christmas on earth. As Fats Waller once said, "One never knows, do one?

The older I get, the more I can relate to Ebenezer Scrooge. The old bugger is becoming more of a folk hero to me with the passing of each year. Bah, humbug indeed.

And then there is my major problem with Jolly old Saint Nick:

Santa Claus has not sent me a single thing in forty-nine years. Late on the night of Christmas Eve 1968, when I left the traditional milk and cookies for him, I spiked the milk with Old Granddad bourbon. Santa, although being a rather large person, apparently doesn't handle his liquor too well - in fact he doesn't handle it well at all. He took off from our rooftop and proceeded to crash into the Finkle home across the street. Four of his eight tiny reindeer were permanently paralyzed - horrible carnage. Since that ill-fated Christmas Eve, regardless of how naughty or nice I may have been during any given year, I’ve been permanently consigned to Santa’s “naughty” list. My intent that year was not at all malicious. I sincerely believed that I was doing the man a favor. Christmas Eve 1968 was a cold night, and I thought the dude might need a little something to warm himself up. So much for good deeds.

Now that I've got things off on that cheerful start....

But seriously, I do hope that you all are having a wondrous and beautiful time with your friends and families today; just don't look to this grumpy curmudgeon for inspiration. Perhaps I should sit down and put on a Bing Crosby record or It's A Wonderful Life. Or maybe I'll just gaze in awe at this:


Yeah, that works.

Happy Christmas, everybody!

Tom Degan
Goshen, NY

SUGGESTED LISTENING:

Adeste Fideles
by the Montovani Orchestra

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qqV7jWTLYY

This recording from 1958 was my father's favorite Christmas record. It always reminds me of him when I hear it. 

10 Comments:

At 2:09 PM, Blogger Bill said...

Happy Holidays Tom. Thanks for speaking our minds in your blog postings. Peace.

 
At 3:05 PM, Blogger Mozart1220 said...

Yeah, I have all but given up on Christmas as well. THIS year certainly doesn't give me hope.

For me, Christmas is for KIDS. Adults have ruined it with Wal Mart Brawls over the latest gadget they will replace in 3 months. Conservatives have ruined it with the "War on Christmas" crapola (I think there is a "Happy Holidays" banner somewhere in "Wonderful Life") and besides, I'm too far from my Grandkids and too afraid to spend money to enjoy the holidays. My wife is a wonderful cook and that's where we celebrate.

I just hope Trump doesn't manage to crash the economy like he wants to. I'd hate to think we raised these cats for food. How ironic that our last meals would be from "Grabbing Pussy".

Happy Holidays to all.

 
At 8:33 AM, Blogger Clueless It Seems said...

Really honest and so true. I have given up on Christmas because it's a kommercial load of sh*& and I am really sick of other lies, too. It has taken me a whole lifetime (I'm 69 years old) to figure things out. I live in the Boston area and we had a "white" Christmas. How appropriate. It's 18 degrees as I type this. And yes, I was a real professional musician (non-starving) at the KenCen in DC so I know lots about all the genres since I used to listen to everything! I know Montovani and Julius LaRosa, too!

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger Clueless It Seems said...

Mozart1220: fantastic post, too! :)))

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger Michael Stivic said...

Mozart, my nanny state progressive kindred spirit,

You sound like the Grinch who stole Christmas.

It's so nice to say Merry Christmas again without fear from the muslim sympathizing progressive PC thought police gone wild.

Remember when the Chicken Littles, who voted for Queen Hillary, said the economy would crash when Trump took office?



 
At 2:43 PM, Blogger Majormajor said...

As hard as I try, I can't get the image of HRC dashing across the tarmac dodging sniper fire.

 
At 12:32 PM, Blogger Darrell Michaels said...

Tom, I am truly sorry for you. I do hope your health improves and that you are able to share many more years of writing on your blog, sir.

Christmas is about the birth of our Lord Christ. Is about the redemption of the world coming into the world, fully man and fully God. It is merely up to us to accept that priceless gift of salvation, no matter how unworthy we each are.

WalMart, Trump, politics, and mean-spirited people are not a part of what Christmas truly is. It is when we forget this fact that we become bitter and forlorn.

After losing my wife a few years back, I contemplated climbing into a bottle and drinking myself into oblivion. Instead, I volunteered wherever possible to help others in desperate need, instead of wallowing in my own misery. It made all of the difference in the world. It didn't change the entire world, but it did make a difference for those I was blessed enough to help. Oh, and I also met, fell in love with, and married the program director for one of those charities. Life is good when we focus on our blessings and helping others.

I will keep you in my prayers and I hope God truly blesses you, especially in this coming year, Tom.

Merry Christmas!

 
At 10:07 PM, Blogger Paul said...

Those mean spirited people are the Republican politicians you have been praising and supporting TP.

The Republicans have killed children's insurance, which will cause children's deaths. There are many more examples of Republicans meanness, but since you have proven you have no clue what laws the Republicans are passing, or eliminating it's a waste of time to debate with you.

Adding 1-1/2 trillion dollars to the debt with their new tax laws is also mean spirited, not to mention totally irresponsible, but then you wrote a whole detailed post on why you support such irresponsible law.

Of course you support a president that has been credibly accused by multiple women of sexual misconduct and that president supported a credibly accused (by multiple children) of sexual misconduct, that's called being a pedophile. Your claimed Christian values are garbage.

 
At 11:38 AM, Blogger Tom Degan said...

T. Paine....

Thank you for those kind words, sir!

 
At 1:40 PM, Blogger Darrell Michaels said...

Tom, despite the fact that politically you and I agree on practically nothing, I know that you truly want what is best for this country from your perspective. You are a good man accordingly and an important voice to the blogosphere.

(That said, your slow comment moderation really is throttling your readership... myself included.)

I hope our battle of ideas for what is best for our nation continues for many years to come, sir!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home