Thursday, May 31, 2018

The Fabulous O'Dwyers

Pat 'n' Bubba

Paul O'Dwyer
Is there anyone out there still slumbering under the delusion that the administration of Donald Trump was anything less than a complete, mass civic screw-up on the part of the American people? Don't be shy; let's see a show of hands. 

I am on my way to the wake of Pat O'Dwyer in less than an hour. She was a longtime friend to the community I live in. In fact, she served as supervisor of the town of Goshen, NY back in the nineties. Please allow me a bit of immodesty by telling you that I had more than a bit part in her campaign. She was married to the legendary civil rights attorney, Paul O'Dwyer. He passed away nearly twenty years ago in June of 1998. Two of my most cherished possessions are an autographed copy of his memoirs, and a photograph of myself posing with him and the late congressman, Ben Gilman. Ben was the type of Republican politician that is doesn't even exist any longer: a thoughtful moderate.  

When I left New York City back in the nineties, I became quite close to Pat and Paul. In fact, down on my luck, they lent me a small pickup truck they had laying around the yard that wasn't being used. For four months it allowed me to go around the county shooting videos for various projects (mostly weddings). With the cash that I earned from the use of that little truck, I was able to purchase a vehicle and a place of my own - a converted chicken coop on LaGrange Road in Campbell Hall that was owned by my late pal, Rich Pennings. The place wasn't as bad as it sounds - in fact, I loved it - and the rent was quite reasonable. The three of them were a life-raft.

The O'Dwyers were at one time the most famous Liberals in New York. Since Pat and I hadn't talked in a couple of years, I never had a chance to speak with her about the sick phenomenon of Donald Trump; and I can only imagine how Paul would have reacted to the specter of a Trump administration.

Just when I want to believe in my heart that the Left is making a comeback in America, I'm forced to concede that the liberalism that was once personified by people like Paul and Pat O'Dwyer is becoming extinct. It's also a reminder that this nation used to be a nice place to live in. It's not anymore.

I've got a funeral to get to.

Tom Degan
Goshen, NY

Tom Degan, Gerry Ferraro, Tom Cullen and Paul O'Dwyer, 1992
 

2 Comments:

At 10:05 PM, Blogger Majormajor said...

Tom,

Sorry for the loss of your friend.

 
At 7:44 AM, Blogger Clueless It Seems said...

the only expat I know says he got out of America because this place is crazy. It is.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home