Wednesday, July 06, 2016

The Donald and The Newtster



The rumors are rampant (and rabid) that Donald Trump is considering the one and only Newt Gingrich as his running mate for this political year, 2016. Let me pause here for a moment of giddy reflection....

For months I have been speculating that The Donald is some kind of double agent, secretly working for the Democratic Party for no other reason than to as much irreparable damage to the GOP as is humanly possible to do. If he really goes through with this, then all my suspicions will have been confirmed. Other than David Duke and Tom Delay, no sane human being could make a worse possible choice than having someone like the Newtster on the ticket. I mean, can you imagine? Two bloated philanderers as their standard bearers? I would venture to speculate that something as weird as that wouldn't go over too big with the "family values" mob. Then again, the base of that disgusting party is now so divorced from the real world, they probably wouldn't even notice. If Donald Trump can capture their hearts and imaginations, anything is possible.

Much as I would love to see something this catastrophic happen, I just can't envision my luck getting that good. Then again, that's exactly what I said a year ago about Trump's candidacy. My argument at the time was this: Not even registered Republicans in the South and Midwest could possibly be that stupid. Never gonna happen - or so my argument went. One year later and we find The Donald just weeks away from accepting the nomination. As the man once said, "No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people". A pig just flew by my window. More on that later.

"I could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody, and I wouldn't lose voters."

Donald J. Trump

Probably not. For a political insanity junkie such as myself, 2016 turned out to be the most deliciously fruitful of years. I remember thinking that 1980 was the ultimate in surreal political theater. A feeble-minded, failed "B" movie actor as the candidate for a national political party? They'll never top that! But they did; and every four years the clown car show kept getting stranger and stranger - and more depressingly ominous. The Republican Party has been inching itself - slowly but all-too-surely - toward Nazi territory for the last three-and-a-half decades. The inching has been so stupefyingly slow, that most people have barely noticed the change. Is that an exaggeration? Look at the presumptive nominee! Look at his following! Compare them with Ronald Reagan and any of his rallies thirty-six years ago! 

From the perspective of a battle-hardened lefty, Ronnie is starting to look fairly reasonable when compared to the right wing of today. Now that's pretty scary!

Tom Degan
Goshen, NY
Bill Maher

SUGGESTED VIEWING:

Everyone needs to see this. This is the most informative essay I think I've ever seen as to why right wing form of governance does not (and never has) worked. In addition to that, it is extremely funny. Watch this and share it with as many people as possible - particularly any conservative friends or family members you might have. They need to watch this. Everybody does.
`
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtNbMD96xgY

And a comedian shall lead them....

1 Comments:

At 4:53 AM, Blogger Tom Degan said...

Most of the comments posted for the summer of 2016 have been inadvertently deleted.

My bad.

Tom Degan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home