Saturday, January 08, 2011

THE AMERICAN DREAM


I've never done this before, but today I'm devoting this blog to a brilliant piece of animation that I only became aware of this morning when my friend Kathleen Saulino posted a link to it on her Facebook page.

This, I believe, is one of the most important and educational films ever made. It explains in terms easy to understand (and with brilliant satirical insight) what has happened to this once-great nation, and why we all need to stand up and take it back.

It is almost thirty minutes long but worth every second of your precious time. Cross my heart. Here's a link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCH0_4kdwG0&feature=player_embedded

Take a good look at what America's political apathy and ignorance has done to us.

Send a link to everyone you know - and tell them to spread it far and wide - to everyone they know....
and so on....

"The Re-Founding Fathers and Mothers"

Seriously, we don't have to take this lying down. We need to get the greatest minds of this generation together in one room. Unfortunately, it doesn't have to be a particularly large room. Someone's kitchen table will probably do.

Declare a new Declaration of Independence - independence from the banks and financial despots who have looted not only our own financial infrastructure, but the economies of the entire planet. Shout from the highest mountain that the days in which the plutocracy controlled our lives are numbered, and that one day soon, the people shall rule. We will rise up in revolution, the type of which humanity has not witnessed in two centuries.

Then after we're finished, we'll all head back to my place for coffee and danishes.


Cheerio! Pip! Pip!


Tom Degan
tomdegan@frontiernet.net

AFTERTHOUGHT, 1/9/11:

When you have a moment or two, read Frank Rich's column in this morning's New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/09/opinion/09rich.html

Nobody says it quite like the Frankster.

11 Comments:

At 10:38 AM, Blogger Cosmic Navel Lint said...

Cheers Tom, I've nicked it for my blog.

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger Laina27 said...

Hi Tom, Save me a seat on your couch and a Guinness, OK?

 
At 2:25 PM, Blogger Tom Degan said...

Way to go, Bren. Spread the word, pal!

I have a place on the couch with your name on it, Laina27. Actually it says, "Waina72" but I think it's a typo.

Cheers!

Tom Degan

 
At 2:52 AM, Blogger Dearest Friend said...

I'll bring the ice and some local brews from the "Cradle of Liberty"...remember that place? Of course, the room in which those men met in the State hall isn't that big either!

 
At 12:33 PM, Anonymous Bennett said...

I will get to the video, but have read Rich's column, Thanks!

I was given "Lies My Teacher Told Me" for X-Mas this year, have you read it? Amazing how distorted things remain, and how much better our fellow citizens would be if they were told the truth about this nation of ours.

It would also go a long way toward fomenting a bit of a revolution over the banking fiasco...

 
At 1:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom,
I was led here by your post on frank rich's column today. I can only say that your sentiments are mine too. And I'm glad you express them so well. Keep on keeping on.
Best regards,
beduzza
p.s. the word verification isn't working. I tried both visual & audio to no avail. This ain't spam. I'm a real poster!!

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger Tom Degan said...

I haven't read "Lies My Teacher Told Me" yet, Bennett. I'll be sure to pick it up.

I don't know why the sign in thing is not working, Beduzza. It has its good days. It has its bad days.

All the best,

Tom

 
At 7:04 PM, Anonymous Sherman Robinson said...

Great information from Frank Rich, as usual! Thanks for the link.

 
At 7:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

[Bruce Samet said . . . ] Due respects, Tom, you better take a closer look at who the "Red Shield Bankers" and world conspiritors are implied as being. This is a great sop to those many souls who, like the birthers with Obama's citizenship, WILL NOT BELIEVE the long-since-established that "The Protocols of the Elders of Zion" was a hoax.

You should also browse around in the website from which this film comes: http://www.rtr.org . There's some pretty eyebrow-raising content there -- see, for instance, under the "docs" tab, "The Philosophy of Breaking All The Rules": "There is no moral charge to engage or support in treating dissimilar and divergent persons as coequal, especially when they avow and retain their differences. The meaning of equal resides in the ability to accept separation. Countries succumb to national suicide when they destroy the rudimentary quality of their civilization and heritage. . . . Governments never have the rightful authority to compel enforced cohabitation. This assertion holds true for all ideologies, cultures and nations." And so on from there.

The cartoon's brilliantly done, but inescapably oversimplified (as, for example, with the Jefferson v. Hamilton business -- remember, Hamilton was a protege, and almost a surrogate son, to Washington, and might well have become President himself if he hadn't been born in the islands; both men had Washington's ear as members of his cabinet, and the policy debate was not a simple war of Good vs. Evil and hooray for Aaron Burr.)

I'd love to get someone like Paul Krugman to view this film and comment. Think I'll write him a letter.

 
At 4:05 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

This cartoon has opened my eyes thanks for posting the link Tom

 
At 7:30 PM, Blogger Elliott said...

http://inthemidstofambiguity.blogspot.com/2011/01/american-dream.html

I watched the video and I liked it--really informative and made me think a lot. I wrote this a little while ago and just put it on my blog I just started. It's also titled "The American Dream," and takes on the American Dream from a different perspective.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home