They're actually starting to say it! The amazing thing to me is that they're saying it with faces as straight as a two-by-four! I paraphrase: "We [the GOP] will take the House of Representatives back from the evil 'Democrat' party next year."Note to Michael Steele: It's the evil "Democratic" party, you simmering twit!
Their hope to regain control of the legislative branch is beyond mere wishful thinking, it is delusional. So far removed from the main stream of political discourse has that party moved since 1964, it is in serious danger of falling off the face of the earth. As someone remarked not very long ago, "That's not a political party; that's a cult." In a recent newsletter written by Michael Moore (link below) he presented an action plan called, "Fifteen Things Americans Can Do Right Now". When it was published this morning on AlterNet, I offered a sixteenth thing we can do: "STOP VOTING REPUBLICAN!"
I then posted something I wrote on this site over three years ago. Here it is again with only minor editing:
TWENTY REASONS NOT TO VOTE FOR THE GOP
1. They have cut the throats of the poor and the middle class.
2. They have looted our national treasure.
3. They have abandoned their constituency in favor of a multi-national corporate behemoth and an out-of-control military industrial complex.
4. They have created a global, geo-political catastrophe in the Middle East that will take at least a century to remedy.
5. They have shoveled a generation of American children into an untenable slaughterhouse in Iraq.
6. They have engendered an economic nightmare so immense that generations yet unborn will still be bearing its burden.
7. They have sold our nation's soul to the highest corporate bidder. They have made a mockery of the First Amendment.
8. They have squandered a trillion-plus dollar surplus with a tax cut for a class of people who didn't need it.
9. They have gutted vital social programs that aid the poor and the elderly which have been in place for over seventy years.
10 They have gutted laws meant to protect working men and women.11. They have plundered the environment. 12. They have depleted our educational system. 13. They have hijacked this nation's political dialogue. 14. They have ruined our international reputation.
16. They have handed our domestic agenda over to religious fanatics. 17. They have stolen two national elections. 18. They have trampled on our constitution.
19. They have denied voting rights to people of color in at least two states in the last nine years.20. They have sent our Bill of Rights through the sausage grinder.... They must never - EVER - be allowed to govern our country again.
The grand old party is over.
And to think it used to be known as "the party of Lincoln"! Sheriff? Looks like we got one dead elephant here. And why are the Democrats acting so damned complacent? Don't they realize that they're next? The time is coming when we will have a real "party of the people". When that day dawns, the Dems and the GOP will be just an unpleasant memory - like a long ago New Year's morning hangover.Tom Degan
firstname.lastname@example.org Here is a link to Michael Moore's call to action:
Our friend Kitty Bruce, the beloved daughter of my favorite comedian, the late, great Lenny Bruce, is holding an auction of her father's personal possessions in order to raise money for Lenny's House, a shelter for women with a history of substance abuse issues. The last day of the auction is October 28. Here is a link to her official site where you can view the items up for bid:
You can also make a donation to help support Lenny's House by sending a check to:
The Lenny Bruce Memorial Foundation
PO Box 1089
Pittston, PA 18640-5802
"I am not a comedian and I am not sick. The world is sick and I'm the doctor. I'm a surgeon with a scalpel for false values. I don't have an act. I just talk. I'm just Lenny Bruce."