Thursday, September 08, 2022

Some Thoughts on Queen Elizabeth


 
Her Majesty's a pretty nice girl but she doesn't have a lot to say
Her Majesty's a pretty nice girl but she'll change from day to day
I wanna tell her that I love her a lot but I got to get a belly full of wine
Her Majesty's a pretty nice girl, 
Some day I'm gonna make her mine, oh yeah
Someday I'm gonna make her mine.

Sir Paul McCartney

King Charles III
King Charles III
King Charles III


This is going to take some getting used to.
`
Truth be told, Until the year 2021 rolled around, I never spent that much time thinking about her majesty the queen. If I had been born a British subject, I would probably today be a Republican. I always admired the lady, and thought that she was a really class act, but I'm just not crazy about the idea of "royalty". I don't believe that any royal "highness" is any higher than me - or you. 

Here is something to ponder: Were you aware of the fact that I am in line for the title of King of England? That's right, folks! I am a direct descendant of Kings Edward the First and Second of Merrie Olde England. This got me to thinking that being the king of England would be a pretty good job. How many of my older male relatives would I need to bump off in order to get the gig? It was only when I realized that I would have to send my older brother Jack and my cousins Bill and John Barris off to permanent Dreamland that I thought better of the scheme. I have to sleep at night.

It wasn't until the insane antics of her son and grandson starting making headlines that even I was unable to ignore (I'm sure that I don't need to name any names here, do I?) that I became very compassionate in my feelings for her. As I opined on this site in an afterthought only a few months ago: "The poor woman is recently widowed, she just turned ninety-six - SHE DOESN'T NEED THIS!"

In case you haven't heard the news, Queen Elizabeth stepped gently into eternity early this morning. She had a nice long life, and although I think that it wasn't always happy, I believe that it was secure and comfortable. But it's hard to contemplate the fact that she has been on the throne for fourteen U.S. presidents (going back to Harry Truman) and sixteen British prime ministers (going back to Winston Churchill). It's amazing to me, born six years after her coronation, that she will no longer be a figure on the international stage. 

Even this incurable lefty is unable to forget that she did much good in her life and that her heart always seemed to be in the right place. Please, correct me if I am wrong. Rest her sweet soul.

God save the King and all that jazz.

Tom Degan
Goshen, NY

SUGGESTED LISTENING:

At a time when the Britiish people were being pulverized by the bombs of Nazi Germany, thirteen-year-old Princess Elizabeth and her younger sister, Princess Margaret took to the BBC airwaves to gently reassure the children of England that all would be well in the end. Here is a link to listen to that broadcast:


Hooray for the children of England!



13 Comments:

At 11:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stacey Abrams Announces That With a Heavy Heart She Will Succeed Elizabeth II as Queen.

 
At 1:52 PM, Blogger Pappyz said...

Leave it to this asshole to completely ignore the current subject of this blog. FFS

 
At 5:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Leave it to this perfect rectum to take the bait.

 
At 7:56 AM, Blogger Elle Clancy said...

I think most Irishmen might disagree with this take. There are things pounded into our heads beyond the headlines about what Elizabeth, and the royal family in general, really represent.

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger Dave Dubya said...

Anonymous still thinks his messiah Trump is king of the world.

 
At 1:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pappyz said about Dave Dubya's post about Trump

"Leave it to this asshole to completely ignore the current subject of this blog." FFS

 
At 5:32 PM, Blogger Dave Dubya said...

Trump was also an asshole when he violated protocol and walked ahead of the queen in front of her honor guard.
He doesn't have a shred of courtesy or decency and thinks he's king of the world.
Anonymous wants him to be president again.
Assholes love their fellow assholes.

 
At 9:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pappyz said this about Dave Dubya's post about Trump

"Leave it to this asshole to completely ignore the current subject of this blog." FFS

 
At 5:00 PM, Blogger Dave Dubya said...

Trump Derangement Syndrome gets deadly:

"QAnon Follower Killed By Michigan Police After Shooting Wife And Daughter"

A Michigan man died in a firefight with police Sunday September 11th after he allegedly killed his wife and wounded his daughter, with another family member blaming his interest in QAnon conspiracy theories for the attack.

Igor Lanis, 53, fired a shotgun at officers responding to a 911 call outside his Walled Lake home, leading police to return fire.

In a post titled “My Qdad snapped and killed my family this morning,” his daughter wrote that her father first sought out QAnon forums in wake of Donald Trump’s loss in the 2020 presidential election.

“He kept reading conspiracy theories about the stolen election, Trump, vaccines, etc.,” she wrote. “He always said he wanted to keep us safe and healthy. It kept getting worse and he verbally snapped at us a few times. Nothing physical though. He never got physical with anybody.

“Well, at around 4 AM on September 11, he had an argument with my mother and he decided to take our guns and shoot her, my dog and my sister.”

 
At 5:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pappyz said this about Dave Dubya's post about Trump

"Leave it to this asshole to completely ignore the current subject of this blog."

 
At 11:41 PM, Blogger Dave Dubya said...

On July 14, 2021 Miles Taylor, a former Department of Homeland Security (DHS) official under Trump said, “I’ve spent my whole career not as a political operative. I’ve never worked on a campaign in my life other than campaigning against Trump. I’m a national security guy. I’ve worked in national security against ISIS, al Qaeda and Russia.And the No. 1 national security threat I’ve ever seen in my life to this country’s democracy is the party that I’m in — the Republican Party. It is the No. 1 national security threat to the United States of America."

And we ALL know Anonymous is one of them.

 
At 8:46 AM, Blogger rustcoal said...

Posting off subject is common on this forum.

 
At 2:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not surprised you’re bragging about lineage when (just like a Royal) you groomed & groped underaged Burke High School girls (two girls in succession, ie two that I know of)) when you were a twenty-something driving drunk. Why not pay reparations to those you’ve wounded? A man who “doesn’t approve” of abortion and who trolled high school girls is not an ally to social progress. I would curse you if I were a believer. Pay your debts, Tom.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home