Saturday, June 27, 2020

Wear The Mask

Geniuses

Mencken
100 years ago, in 1920, H.L. Mencken made this bold prediction:

"On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and a downright moron will adorn the White House."
 
I was reminded yesterday of the reckless stupidity of this disgusting administration. At a press conference at which the coronavirus task force was present (for the first time in two months) Mike (Dense) Pence was asked about Trump’s rallies during this pandemic - particularly in states like Arizona, Oklahoma and Wisconsin, where fatal infections are rising at an alarming rate. Pence's idiotic response was that even a dangerous epidemic should not get in the way of the people's First Amendment rights.
 
I have no other comment.

David Cohen is an old friend of mine. When I first moved back to my home town long ago in the naughty nineties, he was an oasis in the desert. I didn't really have many friends left in town, and, while I was away, he had opened up a bookstore in the village called "The Scholar's Tradesman" - a man after my own heart. He was also seriously involved in local theater and I would occasionally help him out as an audio technician. Last night, he made this posting on Facebook that floored me:
 
David H. Cohen
"There are still too many people out there not wearing masks properly OR AT ALL. So, if you're one of those people, please listen to me very carefully. I suffer from Asthma. My lungs are vulnerable. When I get a head cold, it inevitably goes into my lungs and sits there for awhile. I limit my exposure to the public, however, when I'm am out there. If you're standing near me and not taking precautions, you're literally putting my life at risk. I repeat: you could very well be responsible for killing me. Is your right to NOT wear a mask worth MY life - or the life of anyone else who might be vulnerable? Do you care? Can you live with the burden of knowing you contributed to someone's death? Over 120,000 dead. America has the highest per capita death toll in the world. (Over 300 per Million) WHY? Because we still have people who think more about themselves than the larger community. The next time you're out not wearing a mask, please, think of ME - and all those who rely on your compassion and empathy to DO THE RIGHT THING!"
 
I could not have put it any better had I given it the old college try. I should add here that, due to the fact that I have Type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure and a touch of emphysema, were I to be exposed to one of these extremist jackasses who are asymptomatic, I would probably be a goner as well. In David Cohen's Facebook posting, he wrote something that jumped out at me and illustrated perfectly the heart of the problem:
 `
"Because, we still have people who think more about themselves than the larger community".
 
Ah. BINGO! Does that statement remind you of any particular group of people soiling the landscape of this once-great nation? This is the crux of the problem that has been plaguing (no pun intended) WEEDA PEEPOLE for the last forty years - and for the better part of the last one-hundred and thirty. As long as conservatism remains a viable political force in the United States of America, we have no other choice but to get used to living in a nation in ruins. This country will never go forward unless - and until - we take a decided turn to the left. This ain't rocket science, campers. This is common sense. Wake up and smell the elephant shit. It's later than you think.

Trump is setting himself up to be the most prolific mass murderer in the history of the American experiment. His inaction before this week, I believe, entitled him to be charged  with 120,000 cases of criminally negligent homicide. Everything changed this week. When he herded thousands of his half-witted followers into a series of indoor rallies in Oklahoma, Arizona, and a packed outdoor rally in Wisconsin - during a pandemic - the charges could be upped (in my opinion) to cold blooded murder. His objective is to make this pandemic so catastrophic that he thinks he'll be able to use the utter chaos that ensues in the autumn to shut down the national election. He legally cannot do that according to the Constitution. But ask yourselves this question:

Since when does this corrupt jackass and common pervert give a flying fuck about legalities? Seriously.

This is where we find ourselves on June 27, 2020. If you refuse to wear a mask during the most devastating pandemic in over a century, you deserve to die - no argument there. You have no right to take innocent people with you. Case closed.

 Have a lovely day, kiddies!

Tom Degan
Goshen, NY

Wear the mask.


3 Comments:

At 2:55 PM, Blogger Just the Facts! said...

Did Obama give a damn about legalities?

 
At 12:57 AM, Blogger Tom Degan said...

A an a matter of fact, he did.

 
At 6:31 AM, Blogger Les Holmes said...

Ah the good old "whataboutism" never fails does it?
Makes me feel sad when they assume we are stupid enough to fall for this bullshit.

"But her emails!!!!"


Stay safe Tom, diabetes really does not play well with COVID-19.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home